Topic Wiki

List of TR's: Drago, bigworld, jj1000,
yitzy93, Cbs, moish, chucksterace

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
Kosher Bakery - breakfast and lunch
-Alef Alef - Fleishig. Closed in the Afternoon. district 1 on juden gasse (jew street). Good place to eat on shabbos. Under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz
-Ainhorn Butcher -Shawarma and Shnitzel. Under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz
-Simchas Butcher
-Kosher Hotel in Saltzburg Austria.  Hotel Alpen Karawanserai not kosher anymore as of Jul 19, 2022 email from hotel
-Novellino       Dairy
-Shalom caterers in Vienna.
-Bahur Tov Meat Resturant
-Shefa Market. Fully Stocked Grocery Store, and Dairy Cafe

Synagogue:
-
Ohel Moshe
-Mizrachi am Judenplatz. They have daily minyanim
-Templegasse (Earliest Minyan)

Things to Do:
-Kaver of the Chasam Sofer in Bratislava is only a hour out of Vienna. Please note that the memorial is closed most of the year but can be opened by appointment. Call +421-948-554442 or email memorial@znoba.sk to make an appointment.
-Jewish tour in midtown
-Beautiful Streets -Kaertner Strasse, Mariahilfer Strasse, Der Ring. In the inner city with great stores (clothing, etc), cafes and old buildings that make it lots of fun to stroll around in.
-Museum of Sound
-Shonbrunn palace (district 13) this is the main residence of kaiser franz joseph (who happened to be agreat friend of the jews). the property is larger than the whole of Monaco.  It is a 5 minute subway ride From district 3 which is where the CAT train (takes 16 minutes from the airport) drops you off if you are coming from the airport.
-KUNSTHISTORISCHES Museum - is an art museum but it also has many objects that were made for the Habsburg emporers
-IMPERIAL PALACE- it's in hofburg which was the center of the Habsburg empire. Today in the palace there are 3 museums about the life of the imperial court. 1. The Imperial Apartments with their original furnishings and decoration 2. the Sisi Museum about  the empress' life, and 3. the Imperial Silver Collection which contains a collection of tableware and other stuff from the habsburg dynasty.
1) (district 1, the center of town).

Hotels:
-Spg: Bristol
-Spg: Imperial
-Spg: Do&co
-Hyatt: Park Hyatt Vienna
-IHG: Intercontinental
-Hilton Plaza Vienna
-Spg: Le Meridien

Hotel Stefanie is very accommodating for Shabbos.. they have physical keys etc. And is around the corner from Ohel Moshe

Getting Around:
-Uber and Mytaxi (App)
-Vienna is a small city (although on the map it looks quite large) and has a great public transportation network which is easy to navigate.
-Driver - Motty Hammer 43 676 848044718

Notes:
-Eruv?  http://www.eruv.at.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on December 27, 2023, 08:12:52 PM »

Author Topic: Vienna Master Thread  (Read 117826 times)

Offline MLM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
Vienna Master Thread
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:51:17 AM »
I will be going to Vienna for two days and one night in september and ideas of a good tour guide and some major must see sights? Also what are my options for kosher food?

There is the Hotel Bristol and the Imperial is it worth the extra SPG points for the Imperial?

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Vienna stopover
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »
My family will be flying from the US to Israel after Pesach.
We will have a full day to spend in Vienna.
Does anyone have suggestions as to what sights to see (kids age 13,11,8,5,and 1 yr)?
Kosher food?
Jewish sites?

Thank you

Offline Bp

• View Profile
Re: Vienna Master Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
If you call kivrei tzadikim Jewish sites! The kaver of the chasam sofer in bratislava is only a hour out of Vienna, & there is a kosher hotel in the jewish neighborhood in vienna they serve breakfast, not sure about dinner,don't remember the name of the hotel

Offline ChikkyMonkey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
will be spending a night at the NH Vienne Airport hotel, whats the best way to travel to the Jewish area? (with 2 kids)

Also what are the eating options? it'll be a day after pesach.. so not sure if everything will be available...

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 07:55:51 PM »
you can go see the castle of kaiser Franz Joseph i think it's called the Schönbrunn Palace
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 05:01:30 AM »
also "KUNSTHISTORISCHES Museum" is an art museum but it also has many objects that were made for the Habsburg emporers.

also the "IMPERIAL PALACE" it's in hofburg which was the center of the Habsburg empire. Today in the palace there are 3 museums about the life of the imperial court. 1. The Imperial Apartments with their original furnishings and decoration 2. the Sisi Museum about  the empress' life, and 3. the Imperial Silver Collection which contains a collection of tableware and other stuff from the habsburg dynasty.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:05:21 AM by u-no-me-:-) »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline jacob

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
vienna
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
I will be going to vienna for 3 days in august. Can s o give me a list of the kosher restuarants and shul there? Also is there enough sightseeing there for 3 days or should i go out of vienna to somewhere else. (Besides the chasam sofer's kever i no about that)

Offline FlyFirst

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: vienna
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
I will be going to vienna for 3 days in august. Can s o give me a list of the kosher restuarants and shul there? Also is there enough sightseeing there for 3 days or should i go out of vienna to somewhere else. (Besides the chasam sofer's kever i no about that)

Kosher hotel in saltzburg Austria.  Hotel Alpen Karawanserai

Offline Bp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »

First what Hotel will you be staying? I don't know about sightseeing, but Ill try to help as much as i know,

Im not familiar with all the shuls, I davend in Ohel Moshe

Hotel Stefanie serves kosher breakfast they are located in the Jewish neighborhood,
Theres a very good bakery right by Ohel Moshe,they serve breakfast and lunch,
There is also a pizza shop named Milk & Honey I didnt eat there so I cant give a review.

For Fleishig Alef-Alef is known to be very good but they were closed when I was there,
I got Great shawarma and shnitzel  from Ainhorn Butcher, just note they close very early.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:42:51 PM by Bp »

Offline U-no-me!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 02:31:16 AM »

There are plenty (  8 ) of kosher restauraunts in vienna. alef alef is under the hashgacha of rabbi schwartz (the highest hechscher in vienna) as is the butcher (berel) which has a semi takeout. alef alef is closed in the afternoon. it is located in the district 1 on juden gasse (jew street). from there if you cross over the bridge over the Danube river, on the main thouroughfare (district 2) there are a number of restauraunt there as is the kosher supermarket.

Vienna is a small city (although on the map it looks quite large) and has a great public transportation network which is easy to navigate.

There are minyanim in Vienna.

IMO 1 day is adequate for touring vienna.

The main sites which you want to see are
1) Shonbrunn palace (district 13) this is the main residence of kaiser franz joseph (who happened to be agreat friend of the jews). the property is larger than the whole of Monaco.
It is a 5 minute subway ride From district 3 which is where the CAT train (takes 16 minutes from the airport) drops you off if you are coming from the airport.
 2)Sisi museum and the imperial apartments from the hapsburg dynasty (district 1, the center of town). Sisi museum has tons and tons and tons of gold bronze silver and all different types of utensils and plates that the hapsburg emperors used and the imperial apartments (which IMO is the main attraction there) is the palace in which the emperors used.

Also there is a historical shul next alef alef.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:34:49 AM by u-no-me-:-) »
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
Looks like one night in Vienna so looking for hotel recommendation.

Hotel Bristol and Le Meridien are both available with C&P's, 4,800+$90 and Hotel Imperial is available with C&P's, 8,000+$150.

Looking at paid rates, theyre EUR225, EUR169 and EUR359.

Thoughts?

Other hotels worth looking at?

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
Looks like one night in Vienna so looking for hotel recommendation.

Hotel Bristol and Le Meridien are both available with C&P's, 4,800+$90 and Hotel Imperial is available with C&P's, 8,000+$150.

Looking at paid rates, theyre EUR225, EUR169 and EUR359.

Thoughts?

Other hotels worth looking at?
What did you do?

Anyone have advice if I want to travel out to the Alps for a day? Any decent hotel chains?

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
FYI, when searching for tix, ITA didn't show me the tix I paid for ($260 from TLV on Austrian)
Kayak showed them as being available for 249 from austrian and 259 from travelocity.
When i went to Austrian's website, they only had tix for almost double the price, but travelocity let me book them for the 260 (which includes their $10 fee)

With 8% cb + 3 MR, it'll come out to around $215 net. Not a bad deal... 

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Wow, this thread made me actually dig up my old blog posts about my trip through Eastern Europe years ago... can't believe I actually had a sense of humor back then. :o

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 03:51:49 AM »
Wow, this thread made me actually dig up my old blog posts about my trip through Eastern Europe years ago... can't believe I actually had a sense of humor back then. :o
Where can I find these relics?

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »
Also, does anyone know how the train ride to the Alps is? Is it as scenic as the ride in Switzerland? Is it often delayed? I may try to time the return leg with my return flight, and don't want to risk being stranded?

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 02:52:28 PM »
Updates on plans:

2 nights at Hotel Bristol w/ SPG using C&P. They opened up the second night when I asked.  $90 + 4.8k per night. Base cost is $325, so a great looking deal to me.

1 night at Radisson Blu Hotel & Conference Centre, Salzburg using 28k points that I got when I stayed one night in BKK to earn 50k nights. There is a nice looking Sheraton, but I'd rather burn these points. 28k points

1 night Hilton Danube. Not in the center, but a nice looking place, and I've got to start using some of my HH points. 30k points

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »
Here is my short TR for my mid-December trip to Vienna. Pix will follow in a separate post.

The Flight:

Our plans to go kind of fell into our lap when my co-worker booked cheap tickets for himself, and I realized that with my mother in law visiting us from the US, that we could leave the 2 older girls for a few days.
The tix on Kayak were running $250 or so on Austrian, but when I actually checked Austrian, the cheapest were $450, as it was on other websites, so it may have been a slight glitch. And the infant tik cost $9.
I never researched the mileage accumulation for this fare class, so I may receive n/t, but I'm still going to try.

Destinations:

We decided to spend a majority of the time in Vienna, but I wanted to experience the European rail system again, and see other parts of Austria, so we went to Salzburg for 24 hrs. The train ride was 2.5 hours, and while Innsbruck seems to be more beautiful since it's further in the Alps, it would have been a 4.5 hr train ride.
Slovenia was also an option w/ a good value SPG location and only a 1 hr train ride, but we decided to remain in Austria.
Initially, the train cost for the 2 of us would have been around 85 euro each way (2nd class), but when I checked 5 days b/f leaving, I saw a single train in each direction at the exact times we wanted for 35 euro one way, and 45 the return, so a total of around 85 euro.
When all was said and done, we did 2 nights in Vienna, 1 in Salzburg, and 1 in Vienna.

Hotel Selection:
We decided to go w/ an SPG property for our first 2 evenings.
There are 3 choices in Vienna, all of them with very good reviews.
Hotel Bristol - https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=89
Hotel Imperial - https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=97
Le Meridian - https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1852

The first 2 are part of the Luxury Collection, and the Bristol and LM are cat 5, while the Imperial is a cat 6.

I nixed the LM since it was a bit too modern, and my SO enjoys the classical style. I settled on the Bristol b/c I preferred the 4.8k + $90 as opposed to 8k + $150. The Bristol is a beautiful hotel, but when you see the Imperial, which was a former palace of a prince, it pales in comparison.
Initially, they only had C&P for a single evening, but a email to the hotel opened up another evening.
Since the going cost was around $280 or so, I got a decent cpm on my points.

In Salzburg, we had a bunch of options.
SPG has some incredible looking properties, but most were cat 6, and they have a Sheraton which was a cat 5, but I wanted to save on the cost.
There are 2 Radisson Blu's there, and I have a stash of 50k points from their free night promo. One was around 28k, and the other was 44k I think.
I booked the cheaper one which was outside of the old city, but I canceled it.
I went with the Crowne Plaza-Pitter for 25k (minus a 10$ reduction for having the PC cc). We received an upgrade, and were happy with the hotel besides for some internet problems.

Finally, for the last evening, I went back and forth btw a nice looking Radisson Blu for 50k, but in the end, booked the Hilton Vienna Plaza due to the Friends and Family sale for 50% off. The cost was $110, and we were upgraded to a corner suite (Gold member), which while nice and spacious, wasn't decorated all that 'fancily'.

Hotel Compensation:
The Bristol gave us 1k for a minor cab issue.
The Sheraton is giving us 4,500 points (I hope AA miles) for bad internet connection in our room.
The Hilton gave us 20k HH for the crib with the missing slat which almost had my child fall out of it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:58:52 AM by Drago »

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 06:35:25 AM »
Nice, keep it up...

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 06:57:56 AM »
very nice!