Author Topic: Peru Master Thread  (Read 37165 times)

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Peru Master Thread
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
first of all thanks... I think I need to be more specific,  I would like to start in Peru because it's much cheaper to get to Peru on miles than to get to brazil at least with continental also continental has a flight from NY that stops in either Dominican republic and panama city
or peurto rico then panama city then to Peru. the real question is how to get around in south America is there a cheap airline there or I have a friend that took a cheap cruise   
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:26:17 PM by jj1000 »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
Re: Re: South America Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 04:59:18 PM »
If you have extra time then spend 2-3 days in Buenos Aires, 2 days in S. Paulo, 2 days in Rio, and 2 days in Iguassu Falls.

There's nothing in the way of kosher food at Iguassu so bring it with you from any of the other cities.

As with all of Latin America, there are dangerous parts to all of these cities.  Don't go out at night alone, stay away from the slums, and try to blend in with the locals.

I've never been to Argentina, but the Chabad Houses in Brazil are just awesome with tons of great food and local specialties!!!

what is there to do in Sao Paulo? I thought its just a big city w/o any real tourist things to do from what I read , was never there

A real nice place is Cusco, Peru and Machu Pichu although I dont think the trains are running there yet the tracks were washed out in the worst winter flooding

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »

A real nice place is Cusco, Peru and Machu Pichu although I dont think the trains are running there yet the tracks were washed out in the worst winter flooding

Have you been there? It intrigues me now especially since there is a new SPG hotel in the area and a Chabad in Cusco. The train gets back online July 1st

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:55:12 PM »
Have you been there? It intrigues me now especially since there is a new SPG hotel in the area and a Chabad in Cusco. The train gets back online July 1st

Twice the 1st time for 40 mins flew up and back to LIM , I was doing the LatinPass Run (no the time or place to go into what that was)

the 2nd time flew back just to go to MP Sun to LIM and a 6 hr layover then up to CUZ, spent the day walking around GREAT city, next morn train to MP and went up to MP caught the last shuttle down and stayed the night then back to CUZ for another night then back to NY

No chabad in my days up there but plenty of stores with Hebrew posters in their windows, didnt do the Inca Trail walk nor the valley , always said I will make it back there

BTW the SPG hotel isnt in Cusco there are a couple of top Hotels but if you arent going to be eating there no real reason to stay at them. If anything a hotel room in CUZ or MP should be a place to store your stuff and sleep and shower up, the rest of the time a person should be out walking and taking it all in! with as little time in teh room as possible. rates when I went werent that high and no reason to blow SPG pts.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:10:24 PM by steve2 »

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
So is MP worth going so far out of the way to see? All of the flights and train(s) will get to me after a while I suppose.

Also, what is worth seeing in Santiago? Seems like a bore on paper, though any place with good kosher restaurants will always be a consideration

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 06:33:39 PM »
So is MP worth going so far out of the way to see? All of the flights and train(s) will get to me after a while I suppose.

Also, what is worth seeing in Santiago? Seems like a bore on paper, though any place with good kosher restaurants will always be a consideration

actually I hit SCL since I had to use up my LP miles

but yea to a large extent it was boring like I think SP will be

I did walk around the city it was great seeing all these santas dressed up xmas was a few weeks away when it was like 90 degrees outside. Friends go every Summer time in NY as its winter time and great slopes for snow skiing just outside SCL

I went to Valiposio (?) for a day to get a feeling what La Habana must be like, I enjoyed very much. For SPG fans theres a Hotel in Vina Del Mar that is suppose to be very nice seaside town upscale

cant comment on any restaurant as I didnt look for any but I was staying at the Marriott and took a tour of the Hyatt it was very nice, the Jewish area is suppose to be near to both there was going to be a garden wedding at the Hyatt and was that a nice garden they have in the back

southern Chile is suppose to have some really nice places

I guess the best way to describe MP is to call it Perus Masada and it was nice walking in Cusco up to Saucy Woman (sexy woman) its a park over looking the city. LIM was like any city stayed in the Miraflores area the 1 night I needed a place. sort of upscale yet still need to keep an eye open

Its hard for me to tell someone I dont know its aplace you cant miss out on. I know after reading all about it on FT I decided to go and I wasnt disappointed. But I wasnt looking for a Chabad house or kosher restaurants. I was looking to take in the Incas history and wanted to see the people. wasnt looking for a Six Flags park or rent a jet ski

Offline E

• View Profile
Re: Chile And Peru Master Thread
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »
any mileage suggestions for intra south america flights I have a flight at the moment Oct 10 from scl - aep                 Oct 13th - aep - mvd for 190$ it keeps on going up and down from 180$ to 230$ I wouldn't mind using mileage though Im not trying to get best value for points just trying to do it free

hotel worked out great in Santiago crown plaza point breaks for 7 nights!!!! rated # 9 in Santiago on tripadvisor I called the hotel about receiving and upgrade to a suite they told me I would have to wait till I get there. so I guess we will see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:18:16 PM by E »

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
any mileage suggestions for intra south america flights I have a flight at the moment Oct 10 from scl - aep                 Oct 13th - aep - mvd for 190$ it keeps on going up and down from 180$ to 230$ I wouldn't mind using mileage though Im not trying to get best value for points just trying to do it free
If you can find availability on LAN, AA charges 12.5k one way.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:09:58 PM »
If you can find availability on LAN, AA charges 12.5k one way.
There is availability SCL-AEP but non AEP-MVD for the day you want.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »
There is availability SCL-AEP but non AEP-MVD for the day you want.
oh thanks. where do the stop in between i don't think they fly strait that might add another country to my trip.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
oh thanks. where do the stop in between i don't think they fly strait that might add another country to my trip.
LAN flies direct.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 02:21:40 PM »
AEP-MVD is just $126 on 10/13 on Aerolineas and Pluna via Travelocity and Expedia
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 02:22:07 PM »
There is availability SCL-AEP
or 3K starpoints b/c I have those 5k kilometers signup bonus which happens to be expiring in 10 days and it's 11k kilometers on lan, if they do one way

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »
AEP-MVD is just $126 on 10/13 on Aerolineas and Pluna via Travelocity and Expedia
true but for another 44 dollars you get a scl to aep flight also

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
or 3K starpoints b/c I have those 5k kilometers signup bonus which happens to be expiring in 10 days and it's 11k kilometers on lan, if they do one way
Online it seems that you can only do RT, but it is possible that theyll do a one way award if you call.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 04:41:15 PM »
Online it seems that you can only do RT, but it is possible that theyll do a one way award if you call.
apparently you can according to a FT poster, I tried getting them on the phone but didn't have time to be on hold, plus I can get an 89$ inc. tax rt from AEP-MVD from pluna's sale and not take the flight back, one way is more expensive so the question is weather to use 3k starwood to save $100 3.3 cpm according to my calculations

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Wow, those are some cheap prices for AEP-MVD!  Not worth the hassle of dealing with a LAN phone rep and using 3K SPG at those rates!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
Wow, those are some cheap prices for AEP-MVD!  Not worth the hassle of dealing with a LAN phone rep and using 3K SPG at those rates!
the lan flight would be the SCL-AEP segment so the choices are 3k spg and 89$ or 190$ for the 3 leg trip hence the save $100 part

update: it seems from further reading up on LAN on Ft that LAN doesn't let you redeem one ways although you can do one way than a short cheap segment.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:15:54 PM by E »

Offline txtmax4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »
My Two cents about Peru and Chile:
Peru: Cuzco is definitely the hottest spot in Peru, definitely go to Machu Picchu, make sure to climb up to Guaina Picchu, you get there by train from Cuzco.
The Nazca Lines are pretty amazing, you can do a helicopter ride or even small airplane, or you can see two of them from on top of a nearby mountain. Around that area you can also go sandboarding.
Another beautiful place to visit in Peru is Huaraz.
I am writing in short, you can do more research about these places online.
Lima, don't spend more than a day there, visit the Miraflores (downtown) area..
I remember flying Lan within Peru itself, Possibly flew AA to LIM.
Chile: Santiago is pretty boring. If you like skiing there are lots of resorts there and also there is an active vulcano somewhere in the south I believe.
Yep, in a nutshell..
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 01:18:52 AM »
Anyone know anything about the trains to and from Machu Picchu? I need to get from the sacred valley to M.P. and I only see trains with Peru rail and the night train that I want back from MP is already booked. Are there any other options? I am staying in Urambamba, and going in August.

I found something that looks good on Machupicchutrain.com and was wondering if they are good.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:25:58 AM by Fan of Dan »