Topic Wiki

DansMeals: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/38870

Eruv: http://www.laeruv.com

Minyanim Thread and Wiki: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=55006.0

Accurate and verified minyanim and restaurants: https://lajewishtimes.com/-click on the picture of the restaurant to get to the menu.

Baby gear gemach: www.lababygear.com

Trip Reports:
Dan 1, Dan 2, Dan 3, Dan 4, @Yehuda - 1 day trip
Joel2 - 4 day trip

Map of Jewish & Kosher LA

RESTAURANTS

Meat:

[th]RESTAURANT NAME[/th]
   [th]Rating[/th]
   [th]Description[/th]
   [th]Area - Address [/th]
   [th]Supervision[/th]
Tierra Sur At Herzog Winery in Oxnard 5/5 stars-The menu here is constantly changing but is always amazing.  The flavors you will try here are unlike any you will get at another kosher restaurant in the world.
Oxnard -

La Gondola4.5/5 stars
-Avocado eggrolls to die for (I had it and I didn't like it
 I can't eat Avocado when it's warm, I'm sure others can't too-Sillypainter).  Great Bread with garlic margarine on the house(agree-Sillypainter) Great Gondola Burger special for lunch with excellent pasta or a soup.  And the Chai Steak with Carmelized Steak Sauce and arguably the best kosher ribs out there.   I'm getting hungry thinking about this place!
Pico

Meatos - https://meatos.us/

http://charcoalgrillbar.com/

Shiloh's4/5 stars
-Great baby back ribs and peppercorn steak.  They serve steaks with a number of dipping sauces which is pretty cool.  Also had some delicious key lime pie.
I did have a bad experience here with really bad food though...and service can be poor here as well.
Beverly Hills Thai4/5 stars-It can get very crowded so it's best to make a reservation in advance.
Jeff's 3.5/5 stars-Homemade onion rings, homemade sausages, Steak Sandwich, Western burger, lots of good and greasy stuff here.
PKD (Pico Kosher Deli)3.5/5 stars
-Excellent Deli-style food along with equally good homemade onion rings. No Reservations, but rarely more than a few minute wait. closes at 9 PM.
Pat's3/5 stars
-Either you love this upscale steakhouse or you hate it.  I used to hate it until my brother became good friends with the bartender.  Now when I go back with him we're treated to a feast for a king! Don't miss the bread pudding dessert!
Shanghai2.5/5 stars
-LA hasn't had very good Chinese since Sholom Cuisine closed.  This place is decent though.
Harissa4/5 stars-Home of the LA-famous pretzle challah! They offer Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/North African cuisine.  They have lots of seating and long hours.

1. Tierra Sur At Herzog Winery in Oxnard
5/5 stars
-The menu here is constantly changing but is always amazing.  The flavors you will try here are unlike any you will get at another kosher restaurant in the world.

2. La Gondola
4.5/5 stars
-Avocado eggrolls to die for (I had it and I didn't like it
 I can't eat Avocado when it's warm, I'm sure others can't too-Sillypainter).  Great Bread with garlic margarine on the house(agree-Sillypainter) Great Gondola Burger special for lunch with excellent pasta or a soup.  And the Chai Steak with Carmelized Steak Sauce and arguably the best kosher ribs out there.   I'm getting hungry thinking about this place!

3. Shiloh's
4/5 stars
-Great baby back ribs and peppercorn steak.  They serve steaks with a number of dipping sauces which is pretty cool.  Also had some delicious key lime pie.
I did have a bad experience here with really bad food though...and service can be poor here as well.

4. Beverly Hills Thai
4/5 stars
-It can get very crowded so it's best to make a reservation in advance.

5. Jeff's
3.5/5 stars
-Homemade onion rings, homemade sausages, Steak Sandwich, Western burger, lots of good and greasy stuff here.

6. PKD (Pico Kosher Deli)
3.5/5 stars
-Excellent Deli-style food along with equally good homemade onion rings. No Reservations, but rarely more than a few minute wait. closes at 9 PM.

7. Pat's
3/5 stars
-Either you love this upscale steakhouse or you hate it.  I used to hate it until my brother became good friends with the bartender.  Now when I go back with him we're treated to a feast for a king! Don't miss the bread pudding dessert!

8. Shanghai
2.5/5 stars
-LA hasn't had very good Chinese since Sholom Cuisine closed.  This place is decent though.

9. Harissa
4/5 stars
-Home of the LA-famous pretzle challah! They offer Middle Eastern/Mediterranean/North African cuisine.  They have lots of seating and long hours.

Milk/Parve:

1. Fish Grill
4.5/5 stars
-The best fish you'll ever have, period.  I'm not such a fish person, but their Grilled Salmon on Angel Hair Pasta with a huge order of well-seasoned fries...YUM! Get the grilled salmon sandwich.

2. Milky Way Reopened, brand new place worth a visit
4/5 stars
-Steven Spielberg's adorable mom will come shmooze with you and show you his movie posters in the back.  Cheeze blintzes and lemon tart are awesome. Chimichangas, potato latkes, and more all at prices that haven't been raised in decades.

3. Pizza Nosh (Agoura Hills)
4/5 stars
-Excellent pizza and Eggplant Parmesean, worth a stop if you're in the area.

4. Pizza Mayven
4/5 stars
-Good plain pizza and excellent fries, and that's about it.

5. Nagila Pizza
3/5 stars
-Good but pricey stuffed crust pizza, and that's about it. There are some big fans of their Naco's out there as well.

6. Trattoria Natalie
4.5/5 stars
-A trattoria is translated from Italian as a tavern, and that's what this restaurant feels like.  They have a cool on-table feature: its a paging device with three bottons.  One botton calls for water, the other for the bill, the last for a waiter.  The food is very good and prices not too expensive.

7. Meshuga for Sushi/Meshuga for Sushi 2
4/5
-With 3 locations (one in La Brea, one in Pico, and one in the valley), they offer great sushi at reasonable prices.  They have some space to eat in the restaurant.  They have long hours and a decent lunch menu.

IF you eat non-CY:
-Sweet Rose Creamery, on Beverly is Kosher and considered some of the best ice cream in LA by foodies http://www.sweetrosecreamery.com/, usually have 4 or 5 non dairy flavors
-Toppings Frozen Yogurt 349 S Robertson Blvd, good frozen yogurt, usually have a non dairy flavor or two

If you eat CY:
-Milky's at 1429 S Robertson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90035 recently became kosher and is cholov yisrael.

Breakfast/Bakery:
1. Cafe Elite
4.5/5 stars
-Amazing cake/crumb donuts along with your usual breakfast food.

2. Schwartz Bakery/Circa NY
4/5 stars
-A great but expensive bakery.  The crumb cheese danish is a personal favorite, as is their wonderful Caramel cake and "kit kat" chocolate rice crispy bars.
They also now serve breakfast in their Pico and Fairfax location.  I had the combo Pancake+Waffle+Franch Toast meal with fruit salad that was very good.
On friday's only they sell raspberry cheese pockets - they always sell out of them early.

3. La Brea Bagel
3/5 stars
-Very good bagels with all kinds of toppings and other breakfast food.

4. The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf - 7235 Beverly Blvd
4/5 stars
-The only coffee bean in LA that has Cholov Yisroel upon request and offers 3 Pas Yisroel bakery items from Delice; Chocolate Almond croissant, Custard twist, and chocolate croissant - also upon request.

SHABBOS TAKE OUT OPTIONS

1. Ralph's - both the Pico and La Brea locations have a kosher section with takeout
2. PKD: http://www.pkdla.com/soon.htm
3. Western Kosher on Pico: http://www.orderstart.com/westernkosher
4. Lieders La Brea: 129 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
5. Lieders Takeout, 8721 W. Pico Blvd, supposed to be excellent, check FB page for hours, (Shabbos Food LA: http://www.shabbosfoodla.com/)
6. Ariel's glatt has a nice selection - NE corner of La Brea and Beverly
7. Got Kosher has very ethnic style shabbat take out- lots of Moroccan food.
8. Elite Cuisine on La Brea/Detroit and Beverly has some nice options and the staff is really nice.

ATTRACTIONS

Attractions for the first time visitor (in no particular order):

1. Santa Monica (Pier, 3rd St. Promenade)
2. Hiking (Santa Monica Mountains, Hollywood Hills)(list of hikes sortable by distance)
3. Theme parks (Universal, Disneyland, Knotts, Six Flags Magic Mountain)
4. Beaches (Venice and Santa Monica are the most popular; Hermosa and Manhattan are the prettiest, Marina del Rey is the emptiest as it's in a residential area)
5. City Sites (The Grove, Hollywood & Highland Blvd, Rodeo Dr/Beverly Hills, Beverly Center)
6. Segway tours with www.segwow.com (tours are available in various locations)
7. TV Show Filmings (get free tickets to local TV shows being filmed) www.tvtix.com
8. Getty Center and Getty Villa.
9. Warner Bros Studio Tour
10. Mulholland Drive in Burbank (view of LA and the Hollywood sign)
11. Marina Del Ray Sportfishing or Whale watching (sometimes on groupon)
12. Griffith Observatory- Driveable Scenic View
13. LA Zoo

Attractions for the experienced visitor:

1. Santa Barbara, 2 hours north (40 min from Tierra Sur)
2. San Diego/ Coronado, 2 hours south
3. Big Bear/ Lake Arrowhead, 2 hours east
4. Hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains.
5. Secret Stairs by Charles Fleming- check out the book
6. Hollywood Bowl
7. Descanso Gardens and Huntington Library and Gardens
8. Calico ghost town, 2 hours east
9. OC County fair (July 12-Aug 11 2013)
10. Adamson House in Malibu
11. Griffith Park - Merry-go-round, Pony Rides, & wagon rides for kids, Horseback Riding for older children.
12. The Queen Mary. Out of commission passenger and WWII ship. Is currently a museum, and a hotel. You can explore the ship or stroll along the empty decks at midnight (closed to tours at night, but open to hotel guests) with a great view of the Long Beach Harbor. 45 minutes south of L.A.

This is a general list.  I can go into specifics if you're interested. HT: Yehoshua

Amusement Parks: Adventure City, Disneyland, California Adventure, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Legoland, Santa Monica Pier, Urban Air, Boomers

Water Parks: Raging Waters, Knotts Soak City, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Wild Rivers

Museums: Getty, Skirball, LACMA, La Brea Tarpits, Peterson Car, CA Science Center (space shuttle), Cayton Children Museum, Museum of Tolerance, Aquarium of the Pacific, Kidspace Children Museum

Hiking Trails: Griffith Park, Runyon Canyon, Caballero

Attractions: Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Adventure Lagoon, Sky Zone, Jump Club, Get Air, LA Zoo, Grove, Universal CityWalk, TopGolf, Lucky Strike Bowling, K1 Speed, Griffith Park Observatory, Travel Town Railroad, Madame Tussauds, Sunset Ranch Hollywood Horseback Riding, Beach, Marina Del Rey, Pump it up

HT:Thaber+Imayid2

Hotels within walking distance of shuls (under 2 mi.)

Pico
1. Mr. C (closest YOLA)
2. SLS
3. Residence Inn by Marriott (closest to Adas Torah or YICC)
4. Beverly Hills Marriott (closest to Adas Torah or YICC)
5. Best Western Plus Carlyle Inn (closest to Torat Chaim or Anshe Emes)
6. Intercontinental Century City (closest to YOLA)

Hancock Park
116northfuller.com
116northfuller.com - in the heart of Hancock Park / La Brea area. 5 minute walk to many shuls. 4 bedroom house with full kosher kitchen, hot plate, everything you need for shabbos.

Other areas
1. Andaz West Hollywood
2. W Westwood
3. Four Seasons, Beverly Hills
4. L'Ermitage

http://kosherconciergela.com/

HT: Dan

« Last edited by yelped on January 24, 2023, 11:58:48 PM »

Author Topic: Los Angeles Master Thread  (Read 2010146 times)

Offline steinl321

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Los Angeles Master Thread
« on: July 06, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »
what sights are a must see? any tips on hotels in the neighborhood? which ones are next to a shul and food etc.?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:09:44 AM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Sights, hotels, and restaurants in Los Angeles, California
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:06:26 PM »
LA restaurant guide: http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=302.msg23082#msg23082

What's your price range for hotels?

(I added restaurants to your title so that we can have one comprehensive LA thread.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:28:44 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steinl321

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »
preferably budget, if need be we can change for Shabbos.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:19:59 AM »
there arent any nice hotels near shuls.  the restaurant yo go to is called pats

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:25:12 PM »
of course there are it depends where you wanna stay in the city
cali is full off shluchim
example go stay in the beverly hills hotel the chabad shul is inside !!!!

Offline jo

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Los Angeles Vacations
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 01:09:32 AM »
Does anybody have any suggestions for which hotel to stay in. I'm on a moderate-cheap budget. I don't want something gross but it also doesnt have to be gorgeous. Probably 3-3.5 stars. I don't know where the kosher restaurants are. If anyone has any suggestions for cheap deals and good locations, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Cheap dude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
La spg hotel
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »
Anyone know the best spg hotel in la to stay in?

How far is the jewishness from lax?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Cheap tickets to California
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
Anyone know the best spg hotel in la to stay in?

How far is the jewishness from lax?
There's tons of SPG in LA from category 2 through 6.  It all depends on what you're looking for. 
Priceline is also great in LA.
The airport hotels are about 20 minutes from the dozens of restaurants on Pico.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Cheap dude

• View Profile
Re: La spg hotel
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »
Any one have a la spg hotel that is a must stay?

What's the closest hotel (spg) to the jewish area?

What's the nicest spg @ lax?

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 02:28:52 AM »
Any one have a la spg hotel that is a must stay?

What's the closest hotel (spg) to the jewish area?

What's the nicest spg @ lax?

closest Hotel is the SLS old LeMireidien I think its a Cat6, also theres a W in Westwood

SLS is midway between the Pico area and LaBrea area both are so called Jewish Areas, parking wont be cheap at either

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 02:42:50 AM »
closest Hotel is the SLS old LeMireidien I think its a Cat6, also theres a W in Westwood

SLS is midway between the Pico area and LaBrea area both are so called Jewish Areas, parking wont be cheap at either
W in Westwood and W Hollywood (opening 01/28) are both cat. 5's and near the jewish areas.
SLS is smack in the middle of the jewish areas. but it a cat. 6.

If you're looking to save Starpoints and don't mind a 15-25 minute drive straight down La Cienega Blvd. to Pico I'd recommend the cat. 3 Sheraton Gateway LAX for 2,800 points+$45 or the cat. 2 Westin LAX for 3,000-4,000 points.  Both properties are nice with the advantage to the Sheraton.  If you bid on a 4* LAX on priceline you will prob. get one of these properties, sometimes for as little as $50.
You can find free street parking for both right behind the properties.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:48:46 AM by Dan »

Offline Cheap dude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »
I do want to use points.

Which is nicer @ lax westin or Sheraton ?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:55:44 AM by Cheap dude »

Offline Cheap dude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:14:56 AM »
Oops I forgot four points.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
I do want to use points.

Which is nicer @ lax westin or Sheraton ?
Reread my post.

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »
W in Westwood and W Hollywood (opening 01/28) are both cat. 5's and near the jewish areas.
SLS is smack in the middle of the jewish areas. but it a cat. 6.

If you're looking to save Starpoints and don't mind a 15-25 minute drive straight down La Cienega Blvd. to Pico I'd recommend the cat. 3 Sheraton Gateway LAX for 2,800 points+$45 or the cat. 2 Westin LAX for 3,000-4,000 points.  Both properties are nice with the advantage to the Sheraton.  If you bid on a 4* LAX on priceline you will prob. get one of these properties, sometimes for as little as $50.
You can find free street parking for both right behind the properties.

iagree with your order at LAX Sheraton, then Westin then 4 Points

however if a person doesnt expect to be spending much time in the room Id go with The Westin and save some pts and $$. Just keep in mind that only the Sheraton has a Lounge, so if thats important that must be taken into consideration.

also be careful and read all the parking signs although its free some blocks have become limited in time and no overnight parking.Also theres alternate st parking

also check the Rtaes before using your pts alot of times the 4 Points is around $70 not bad for picking up a Stay Credit if thats important

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »
iagree with your order at LAX Sheraton, then Westin then 4 Points

however if a person doesnt expect to be spending much time in the room Id go with The Westin and save some pts and $$. Just keep in mind that only the Sheraton has a Lounge, so if thats important that must be taken into consideration.

also be careful and read all the parking signs although its free some blocks have become limited in time and no overnight parking.Also theres alternate st parking

also check the Rtaes before using your pts alot of times the 4 Points is around $70 not bad for picking up a Stay Credit if thats important
Last time I was at the Westin there was a (crappy) lounge.
With cash and points I'd prob take the Sheraton (2,300+$45 for SPG Plats) over the Westin (3,500 points for SPG Plats)
Definitely read the signs behind either property for free parking.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 10:31:13 PM »
Last time I was at the Westin there was a (crappy) lounge.
With cash and points I'd prob take the Sheraton (2,300+$45 for SPG Plats) over the Westin (3,500 points for SPG Plats)
Definitely read the signs behind either property for free parking.

With PLATINUM, you get the 500 amenity points, even on a award or c&p stay?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 11:10:34 PM »
With PLATINUM, you get the 500 amenity points, even on a award or c&p stay?
Yes.

Offline Cheap dude

• View Profile
la city pass
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 04:33:33 PM »
Does anyone know of a way to get a la city pass?
any good stuff to do while im there?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Israel Discussion: Things To Do, Places To Eat
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »
im wondering in how many restaurants youve eaten in the states to make such a blanket statement. im assuming you havent eaten in the fine dining establishments if you say it tastes artificial.

how many so called Fine Restaurants are there in LA? or even out of NY?