Topic Wiki

Trip Reports, notes and reviews:

Airports:
Foreign visitors staying for more than 24 hours would be expected to pay 350 pesos ($18.50), although giving to the fund is completely Optional.

From airport you can take a private car or shuttle but book it before from someone with 5 star rating from TripAdvisor or Yelp. Many scam artist in the airport.

Getting around town there’s car rental, taxi, bus and Uber. But Uber might not be allowed in your lobby.

Where to stay:  Points?
Hilton Points
Waldorf
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Los Cabos

Marriott Points
Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort (RECENTLY CLOSED)
JW Marriott
Westin
Fairfield inn

Hyatt Points
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
Ziva-All inclusive

IHG
Holiday Inn Express Cabo San Lucas

Kosher:
Reb Benny +52 624 133 0489
Baja Kosher (covid currently closed)

"Costco has tuna fish, OU Glatt sausages, Chalav Yisrael Natural and Kosher cheeses, salmon etc.
Walmart, La Comer, Soriana, Chedraui have smoked salmon, fruits, veggies, pastas, eggs, sugars rice, cereal, ketchup, mustard, Dolores brand tuna (not bishul yisrael), etc.
Corn tortillas fresh are usually kosher and they’re shehakol.
Yogurts, milk, and spreads can be found here but they are cholov akum.
If you want Cholov Yisrael milk, we get ours from the farm so let us know earlier and we will try to get you some.
Wine is available at La Europea.
For those looking for ice cream shops that are OUD, there is a Ben and Jerry's and a Haagen Dazz. " -Chabad

Chabad:

What to do:

PLEASE UPDATE

« Last edited by davidmal on March 23, 2023, 03:48:36 PM »

Author Topic: Los Cabos, Mexico Master Thread  (Read 92977 times)

Offline Traveler

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Los Cabos, Mexico Master Thread
« on: June 23, 2010, 06:43:58 PM »
Anyone been to Cabo? In the summer? Is $316 rt LAX-SJD a good price? What activities are there and how long to go?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:41:39 AM by Dan »

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Los Cabos, Mexico
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:34:40 PM »
Looking at this vacation right now.
Dan I need your help.
I need a suite so that I can go with my two kids. The Hilton looks beautiful!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:18:01 AM by Dan »

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Los Cabos, Mexico
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »
Dan, are you reading this thread?

I would like to know if you want to help me with a hotel in Los Cabos, Mexico. I have 60,000 SPG points but I want to stay in the Hilton Los Cabos. Can you do anything for me? I am looking at the premier King Suite from August 15 to August 19, price is $344/night, total of $1706 after taxes.

Please let me know ASAP as I want to book the hotel already.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:18:19 AM by Dan »

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Los Cabos, Mexico Master Thread
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
Just in case anyone is interested, similar to in Puerto Rico, there is a Chabad house in Los Cabos and they offer homemade meals delivered to your hotel. Their website is www.cabokosher.com.

If food is a priority, then you can take your next vacation here even though it may get a little pricey. It happens to be that food in cabo is pricey everywhere.

I will try posting my experience after my visit mid-August

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »

I will try posting my experience after my visit mid-August
When you get a chance a trip report would be very helpful.
thanks!

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
We went to Cabo last May for a 3 day trip from LA and it was a great trip. Obviously it wasn't yesterday so I can't remember exact details of prices, etc. but I will give you the general outline of our vacation.

Air: AA 2 RT tickets from LAX-SJD ~$220/pp
Hotel: ~$200/night for an oceanview room - 3 nights at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar Resort (pay 2 nights gets 3rd night free) +$200 food/beverage credit

The trip from LA to Cabo is short and painless. We left in the mid-morning allowing us to arrive early afternoon to Cabo. It was probably hovering in the high 80s, low 90s when we got there, but perfectly clear and beautiful out (it was at least that hot the rest of the trip, probably a little bit hotter). We rented a car from Payless Car rentals that was pretty cheap, but I can't remember how much exactly we spent. Just know that when you get to Cabo if you bring food with you (as we did) you have to push a button when going through their customs and if the light is red then your bags will be checked, if it is green they will let you go. We luckily got a green light, so didn't have to worry about any of our delicious Jeff's Gourmet salami getting confiscated.

When leaving the airport be aware that you will be hounded by people offering you rides to your hotel and they will not stop bothering you until you actually are out and in whatever mode of transportation you have pre-arranged. Be sure just to keep saying no and have your own path paved. If you do take one of these crazy rides you apparently get stuck in timeshare come-ons for hours (not something we wanted to do). We hopped in the van to the car rental facility which was only a 2 minute drive away. Beware that at the car rental facility they have someone there as well to offer their expert help (and timeshare craziness again). Also, be sure to double check every spot of the car when getting it new, so as not to allow them any leeway charging you extra when you return the car.

The drive from the airport to Sheraton was pretty easy and a very beautiful drive up the coast highway. Took us about 35-40 minutes and it was very pleasant. Along the way you pass through the small town of San Jose del Cabo (not Cabo san Lucas) and most of the resorts in the area are situated along the coast between San Jose and san Lucas. The Sheraton is located in the Cabo del Sol area and is a wonderful beachfront property. It is not the newest of the resorts (or fanciest, for that look at the Esperanza), but it was great property with 2 main pool areas.

Check in was painless and since I am SPG Gold I called in advance and asked for a specific room I had seen on the website that I liked. When I called they said that they would note my request and if it was available upon checkin I could get it. Luckily we got it. It was an oceanview room on the top floor of one of the buildings and the only room in the hotel with a private jacuzzi on the patio overlooking the ocean (WOW, just breathtaking!). The room was nice, nothing spectacular but very comfortable, and had a separate walk-in shower and bath in the bathroom with 2 sinks.

The main pool area is the one overlooking the ocean and stretches across the majority of the length of the property. In addition there are 2 jacuzzis in that area perched on the top of the cliff oceanfront. The pool in the middle of the area is also an infinity pool which is very cool. We spent most of our days sitting out in front of the pool (between the pool and ocean) reading our books and taking advantage of the near constant happy hour (i.e., 2-for-1 drinks, more on that later). Getting to the pool area early is recommended as people tend to put their magazines, books, etc. out early to save themselves a spot. The other pool area is towards the back/side of the property and there is a swim up bar and jacuzzi there as well. Great spot also because it is a little quieter than the main pool area.

Happy hour can be found on the property at almost every hour of the day beginning at 11am. Somewhere, at some bar on the property you can get drinks 2-for-1. It was great! It was made even more great because with the $200 food/beverage credit we basically could get drinks worth up to $400 throughout our stay. Just know that tips are not included in that and you therefore have to shell that out on your own dime. Either way, it was great to lounge throughout the day getting drinks and applying our credit.

The spay there is nothing special, but we were able to get free access. I don't think they were supposed to give it to us for free, but the lady at the fitness center where I went to work out let me in anyway which was really nice. I took a quick sauna and steam and a dip in their 3 hot-tubs... even though one is actually a cold-water tub. I wouldn't actually pay for the use there because it is nothing too special.

On one evening we drove into Cabo san Lucas and took a "booze cruise". Cabo is the location where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortes. At the edge of the land ("Land's end") there is a beautiful rock formation known as "El Arco." It is really nice and a worthwhile thing to see. We took a ship called Pez Gato and for $30 got all you can drink 2 hr. sunset cruise. By then we were kind of sick of alcohol so we didn't drink much, but it was really beautiful.

Obviously, this trip was for pure relaxation so we didn't plan much in the way of crazy activities. Cabo however does have some amazing things to do: golf, fishing, horseback riding and other outdoor things. We figured since we live so close we could come back another time to do all those things.

Overall, we had a great trip and came back home extremely relaxed. The trip was relatively cheap and fulfilled everything we were looking for. This was a long trip report, but if you feel I missed anything let me know and I will try to fill in more details as wanted.

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »
Thanks!

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
wow that was really nice of you to write that all up - thanks!

Offline bhphotoman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
cabos mexico
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 08:46:21 PM »
hey all i spent weeks in cabo but i suck at this hole report thing so instead of a report ask questions and i will answer them in full detail just easier that way lol

Offline Simcha89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: cabos mexico
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 09:49:16 PM »
Where did you stay?
I went this past January, i stayed in cabo azul... got a pretty decent deal

Offline bhphotoman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »
i stayed in diamonds international i rented a condo

Offline ash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 01:12:39 AM »
what did you do for kosher food ? assuming you are ...................................................

Offline bhphotoman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »
the shluchim there are amazing beyond amazing they also happen to be very very close friends of mine which helps but if you want kosher food they sell it like they make it and deliver it for a cost she can and would cook wtvr u want and she is a amazing cook second best to my wife lol also for lunch every day we had brought are own food like cold cuts cheese bagels bread wraps tuna etc and that was lunch

Offline bhphotoman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »
http://www.cabokosher.com/

Rabbi Benny and Sonia Hershcovich
are by far some of the best shluchim and most amazing rabbi

Offline Simcha89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »
the hotel that i stayed in (cabo azul) has villas, there was a full kitchen etc.. packed a suitcase of pots, pans and pasta

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 01:33:41 AM »
I reserved at the Sheraton Del Mar Haciendo in Cabo for mid-winter vacation - is this a mistake to go here in the winter?

We reserved the "Luxury" suite, 903 sq feet with separate living room, 80,000 spg points for 4 nights. no cash n points available.
Is this property worth the 20K per night?

cabokosher.com indicates that only meet is not allowed to be brought in but i have heard and read that they wont allow dairy and chicken either. can anyone speak from experience?

Is this property kid friendly?

Any must-do activities?

I read that you can't swim at the beach due to rough waters. Will the kids be able to at least play on the sand and get their feet wet?

Thanks in advance.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »
I reserved at the Sheraton Del Mar Haciendo in Cabo for mid-winter vacation - is this a mistake to go here in the winter?

We reserved the "Luxury" suite, 903 sq feet with separate living room, 80,000 spg points for 4 nights. no cash n points available.
Is this property worth the 20K per night?

cabokosher.com indicates that only meet is not allowed to be brought in but i have heard and read that they wont allow dairy and chicken either. can anyone speak from experience?

Is this property kid friendly?

Any must-do activities?

I read that you can't swim at the beach due to rough waters. Will the kids be able to at least play on the sand and get their feet wet?

Thanks in advance.

I wrote a whole trip report on my trip there last year. It is somewhere on the forums. We were there in May so I can't speak to the weather in winter, but I think Cabo is generally warm all year long. The hotel seemed pretty kid friendly when we were there. There were lots of families and because there are a number of pools it's easy to find a place to swim with your kids. The water is generally rough in the ocean so be careful.

In terms of food, we were able to bring everything we brought in with us (including meat). Basically when you land and go through customs you push a button and if the light turns green then they don't search you, but if the light turns red they search your bags. We got a green light so we got lucky. I have heard storied of people getting searched and then arguing that they wouldn't be able to eat without their food and finally getting through (YMMV).

Have a great trip!

Offline lcyitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 12:27:39 AM »
Anyone have an idea to what is the cheapest way to get from LAX to Cabo?

Mileage or cash, both are doable.

Thanks! A lot in advance :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
Prob Avios.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
Some people get meat labeled with chicken stickers