Topic Wiki

This Wiki is far from complete so please add to it!

The main Orthodox Community is located in Oak Park/Southfield.
There are also communities in the Young Israel of Southfield neighborhood and West Bloomfield/Farmington Hills.
Getting there:
Best option: 7.5k avios from LGA/PHL
10k UA from EWR
Or DL 12.5k, sometimes 7.5k
Often there are cheap paid fares on Frontier from Trenton(TTN)
Or ACY on spirit
It's 10 hours drive from NYC & 9+ from Lakewood.
If renting a oneway from hertz, drop at centerline, MI.

Where to stay:
People are very hospitable!
There are no hotels within walking distance to the main Oak Park/Southfield community, though the Holiday Inn Express in Farmington Hills is a 20-25 minute walk from two shuls.
The Westin in Southfield isn't far by car.
The airport Sheraton is now a Cat 1.

Where to eat:

Prime10 is a centrally located steakhouse, and probably the best kosher Fleishigs in Detroit.
They have a decent lunch special. Expect to pay $35 plus per person.

Kravings is a very solid, centrally located burger/sandwich/sushi/shabbos takeout place.
They are open Thursday nights until 1ish with Cholent.
Meals start at around $10.

Sara's in the oak park JCC, very solid deli the oak park JCC is (permanently) closed, and so is Sara's.

Dave's is currently closed.

Jerusalem Pizza has plenty of specialty pizzas, Kishka, BBQ, Sephardic and Mexican are some of the more popular ones, but even the plain pizza is incredible.
Their regular pies are thick and smallish.
They also offer a "New York style" pie, but it is not recommended, as they specialize in their own style of pizza and not NY Style pizza, so why would you get the same stuff that you could get on the east coast?!
They have plenty of calzones. Bread sticks/cheese sticks are a must.
Order by phone if you're in a rush as they usually take 15mins to get you your pizza.
They also have a branch in the West Bloomfield JCC.

Grove Kosher Supermarket (beautifully redone - previously One stop) has plenty of Kosher products, as well as Fleishig takeout, Sushi, and Pizza.
Spread's Café is a breakfast / bakery next to the Grove. They have eggs, bagels, ice cream, pastries, salads, coffee, etc.
Wok in Cari Out is Chinese takeout, also next to the Grove.
Soul Cafe in West Bloomfield is a nice dairy place a bit more upscale then the rest (only open for breakfast and lunch)
Gold N Greens is in the Wayne County Cafeteria. They are only open when college is in session.
They are not Cholov Yisroel. It costs about $8 for all you can eat: pizza, bread sticks, soy stuff, salads, desserts, soft ice cream, sodas, chocolate milk, OJ... Kids 5& under are free. 6-12 is $4.

Zeman's bakery is centrally located and is very solid.
Dunkin Donuts/baskin Robbins is kosher and also centrally located. (Not CY/PY)

There are also two Kosher bakeries in the West Bloomfield/Farmington Hills area, Bake Station and Dakota Bread.

Minyan Times:
cordetroit.com/community/minyanim

« Last edited by Shmueli on June 23, 2022, 04:47:09 AM »

Author Topic: Detroit Master Thread  (Read 46927 times)

Offline whynot

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Detroit Master Thread
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:30:28 PM »
        I will be flying to detroit from jfk for 5 days (sun-thur) in July. Does anyone have any info on places to eat, things to do and hotels to stay. I am hoping not to pay more than $150 for hotels per night. I also have starwood (gold) points. (I would need a suite or 2 connecting rooms). I would fly back from another city if anyone has info on things to do from another city within 4 hours driving. Any info would be a great help. THANKS in advance.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:58:16 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: DETROIT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »
Kosher eateries
Cafe One: Very good pizza and ice cream.
Rami's: Subpar chinese/fast food.
Jerusalem Pizza: Really interesting toppings on OK pizza.
Sara's Deli: Very good deli with triple-stacked sandwiches.
Zeman's Bakery: Don't miss a warm cheese danish in the morning.

There's a Westin in Southfield that's very close to these eateries.

Activities: Nothing.  It's Detroit after all  ;D
For fun go on over into Ohio and make the 2 hour drive to Cedar Point, easily the best amusement park (with killer roller coasters) in the world.
From there you're only an hour away from visiting me in Cleveland, (Say what you will about ctown, but hey, we're not Detroit!)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:01:52 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Monsey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »
        I will be flying to detroit from jfk for 5 days (sun-thur) in July. Does anyone have any info on places to eat, things to do and hotels to stay. I am hoping not to pay more than $150 for hotels per night. I also have starwood (gold) points. (I would need a suite or 2 connecting rooms). I would fly back from another city if anyone has info on things to do from another city within 4 hours driving. Any info would be a great help. THANKS in advance.
There arent any great places to eat. As for hotels there is a 4 star westin in southfield (2 miles from jewish community) which you can usually get on priceline for about $55-60 a night. There is also a hyatt in dearborn or allen park which can also be gotten on priceline for pretty cheap. If you go to dansdeals.com and hit trip notes you can see dans notes and other peoples comments on detroit. If you need anything else you can pm me.

Offline Monsey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
Kosher eateries

Activities: Nothing.  It's Detroit after all  ;D
For fun go on over into Ohio and go to Cedar Point, easily the best amusement park (with killer roller coasters) in the world.

Ramis has been sold and is now called daves gourmet. The food is now much better.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:03:18 PM »
Ramis has been sold and is now called daves gourmet. The food is now much better.
Good to know, last time I was there was last year when I drove in to see the Cavs kill the Pistons in Auburn Hills with tickets that were practically being given away on ebay.

What do you recommend from Dave's?

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Monsey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
Good to know, last time I was there was last year when I drove in to see the Cavs kill the Pistons in Auburn Hills with tickets that were practically being given away on ebay.

What do you recommend from Dave's?

It was just sold right after pesach and some of the menu hasnt been changed yet. They are suppose to start selling schwarma and adding some other stuff. When its totally changed i will post what is the best dish but as of now i cant really say.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
 I found Cafe Ones Pizza to be the worst I ever had, at least the last time I was at CO a couple of yrs ago. I always go to Jerusalem its so much better

Nothing to do, heck head up North to Machinaw Island,Petosky,Harbour Springs, The UP, etc etc

I make it to Detroit 2-3 times ayr, besides The Westin apx 10 mins away is the Sheraton Novi. The Hyatt is suppose to be going bye-bye very soon

also Dearborn Village and the Ford Museum can easily take afull day up a must see.

head out to the Orchard Lake area and simply drive around its beautiful

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
I found Cafe Ones Pizza to be the worst I ever had, at least the last time I was at CO a couple of yrs ago. I always go to Jerusalem its so much better
Dunno about a couple years ago, but the sauteed mushroom/onion pizza I had there last year was delicious.
YMMV I suppose.

Offline Monsey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 03:51:47 PM »
There is also a kosher non cholov yisroel dunkin donuts/baskin robbins

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 04:22:39 PM »
It was just sold right after pesach and some of the menu hasnt been changed yet. They are suppose to start selling schwarma and adding some other stuff. When its totally changed i will post what is the best dish but as of now i cant really say.

wasnt it only a couple of yrs ago that it became Ramis, it was some other name before that B2 something

Detroit as well as CLE arent cities to go to if food is the reason for going

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
wasnt it only a couple of yrs ago that it became Ramis, it was some other name before that B2 something

CLE has a very good kosher steakhouse (Contempo Cuisine), in fact the only one that I know of between NYC and LA.

There are kosher hot dogs at Indians games at Progressive Field.

Plus we've got a very good pizza shop (Kinneret), bagel shop (The Bagel Shoppe), and delicious parve donuts at Ungers.  There's also Chocolate Emporium and Ice Cream Parlor, Sababa, Issi's, Jerusalem Grill, Subway, etc.

And there are highly rated kosher non-cholov yisroel donuts (Amy Joy) and Ice Cream (Cold Stone) although I can't vouch for those first hand.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
CLE has a very good kosher steakhouse (Contempo Cuisine), in fact the only one that I know of between NYC and LA.

There are kosher hot dogs at Indians games at Progressive Field.

Plus we've got a very good pizza shop (Kinneret), bagel shop (The Bagel Shoppe), and delicious parve donuts at Ungers.  There's also Chocolate Emporium and Ice Cream Parlor, Sababa, Issi's, Jerusalem Grill, Subway, etc.

And there are highly rated kosher non-cholov yisroel donuts (Amy Joy) and Ice Cream (Cold Stone) although I can't vouch for those first hand.

Teaneck is in NJ and although never there myself I have heard they have a # of very good places to eat, but since its right over the GW maybe you consider that as NY. I think Chicago offers more then both DTW or CLE but thats a 4 hr drive passed DTW. and the only reason Id head to Chicago would be to Load up at Rumanian which has to be the best Deli anywhere in the US and probably beyond the US at that

are the Bagels boiled @ The Bagel Shoppe like The Bagel Hole does in Flatbush? otherwsie its a round roll with a hole in the middle

theres a pizza store near Jerusalem Grill is that Kinneret I hope not. nor was JG anything to speak of but I guess its better then nothing Id put it in the same bucket as Ramis. Now Kens Diner in Sokie is a place not to miss!

Offline Monsey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »

Yes it used to be called bkc. I dont know about cle but i 100% agree with you that detroit is not the place to go for food or anything else really unless your looking for a bankruptcy lawyer
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 05:29:05 PM by Monsey27 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »
Teaneck is in NJ and although never there myself I have heard they have a # of very good places to eat, but since its right over the GW maybe you consider that as NY. I think Chicago offers more then both DTW or CLE but thats a 4 hr drive passed DTW. and the only reason Id head to Chicago would be to Load up at Rumanian which has to be the best Deli anywhere in the US and probably beyond the US at that

are the Bagels boiled @ The Bagel Shoppe like The Bagel Hole does in Flatbush? otherwsie its a round roll with a hole in the middle

theres a pizza store near Jerusalem Grill is that Kinneret I hope not. nor was JG anything to speak of but I guess its better then nothing Id put it in the same bucket as Ramis. Now Kens Diner in Sokie is a place not to miss!
NY/NJ/CT is all tri-state, not counting that.

Chicago used to have Bugsy's and Shallots, but both have closed down and now they have no steakhouse.  Another good Chicago restaurant, Da'Nali's has also closed down.

The bagels are boiled and then baked at The Bagel Shoppe and are excellent.  Their Garlic Bagel is heaven if you're love heavy garlic flavor.

The pizza shop next to Jerusalem Grill is Issi's and is not good.  In fact nothing in that strip mall (Jerusalem Grill, Sababa, Issis, and Lax And Mandel) are really worth going to.  Kinneret is down in Cleveland Heights by Unger's.

But the other places I recommended in Cleveland are worth going to.

Offline bentch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »

what kind of fares did u get? i fly there frequently and am always looking for cheapest airlines to fly.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »
Kosher eateries

Activities: Nothing.  It's Detroit after all  ;D
For fun go on over into Ohio and make the 2 hour drive to Cedar Point, easily the best amusement park (with killer roller coasters) in the world.
From there you're only an hour away from visiting me in Cleveland, (Say what you will about ctown, but hey, we're not Detroit!)

having just spoken with 2 friends from DTW they couldnt believe what you said

CafeOne - its pizza at best is OK

Ramis- they were neutral nothing to brag about , after all its fast food

Jerusalem Pizza- its Great and people from all around hit it once they get to town

Saras Deli- pure slop and shouldnt be in biz

Zemans- about the only 1/2 decent thing is their water challa and after having it from Gross's in BoroPark they even fail with that, everything else is like glue

( 1 of them is involved in the food biz but has nothing to do with any of these places)

1 correction its not Dearborn Village but Greenfield Village that is in Dearborn

Offline moshegold

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »
I was just in Detroit a week ago and stayed in the Westin Southfield, it was beutiful, I took a night for cash and points (2800 points + $45) and I am a SPG gold member and they offered me to upgrade to a honeymoon suite for another $50 which goes for $369 a night (I declined to take it) but it was a very nice hotel and nice staff.
I bought fresh bagels in One Stop Kosher Supermarket (made on premises) they were better bagels then I've tasted anywhere in NY. I also bought some delicous donuts in Zemans.
Regarding a flight, a direct flight for a same day return trip was approximately $1000 (I was checking it for months in advance) so I ended up flying on AA for 9000 spg points (which I transferred to LAN) + $20 taxes & fees.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 11:44:26 PM »
The Westin is quite nice and in a great location.
If anyone wants help getting it with priceline just send me a PM.

Offline Monsey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 02:02:30 AM »
If you dont have any luggage you can fly with 2 one way hidden city tickets for very cheap. If you want to know what the cheapest hct are then look in the thread 'on the road paved with miles' in the topic 'hidden city' i posted there the best hct from nyc-dtw

Offline bentch

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »
thanks. shkoaich