List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki

Author Topic: Tiberias, Israel Master Thread  (Read 89155 times)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Tiberias, Israel Master Thread
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:53:21 PM »
I have heard from a few people that the Holiday Inn in Tiberias is built on a cemetary, and some shy away from there. I know that Dan stayed there last year, but let me hear various comments out there.
  Is it really built on a old cemetary? I know there is actually kevarim of Tanaiim in the backyard.
  Is there at least a section that is definitely not a problem?
 Let me hear the opinions and comments. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:55:20 AM by Dan »

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
Re: Tiberias- Holiday Inn, Is it built on a cemetary?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:04:42 AM »
I have heard from a few people that the Holiday Inn in Tiberias is built on a cemetary, and some shy away from there. I know that Dan stayed there last year, but let me hear various comments out there.
  Is it really built on a old cemetary? I know there is actually kevarim of Tanaiim in the backyard.
  Is there at least a section that is definitely not a problem?
 Let me hear the opinions and comments. Thanks!

Dan, you were there last year. Is there validity to what im asking? Anyone else?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:07 AM »
if you are a kohen, you have more problems in tiveria than just staying at the holiday inn.

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:51:01 AM »
if you are a kohen, you have more problems in tiveria than just staying at the holiday inn.

please share more info...thanks

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:48:45 AM »
when i was a bochur, i once went to tiverya with a kohen who had a "kohen map of teverya" which basically showed which streets he was not allowed to go on. suffice it to say i never went with him again, as it was almost impossible to get around

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »
I'm not a Kohen and didn't do that kind of research.  I'd imagine that in Israel where there are civilizations built upon civilizations that there are probably more cemeteries underground than one can imagine.

I was just happy having a $30 hotel base in the north!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
im talking about what they know for sure, not speculation. id also like to add that i shouldnt have said before "impossible", rather for me who is not a kohen, it was an inconvenience. however, it can definitely be done by kohanim
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:30:19 PM by moish »

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »
I'm not a Kohen and didn't do that kind of research.  I'd imagine that in Israel where there are civilizations built upon civilizations that there are probably more cemeteries underground than one can imagine.

I just would feel a little spooky sleeping above a cemetary, if that is in fact the case.
  Also, just thinking, that for a pregnant woman, if applicable, it wouldn't be the best idea to be there, let alone sleep there.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »

That's prob true, it's just that I only heard people having a complaint on this particular property in Tiveria.
 I don't remember it's exact location, but is the OLD CEMETERY right beside it?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 05:22:13 PM »
That's prob true, it's just that I only heard people having a complaint on this particular property in Tiveria.
 I don't remember it's exact location, but is the OLD CEMETERY right beside it?

drove by it twice today. Id say at a min its 1/2 mile from the Old Cemetery probabaly closer to 1 mile. I dont see how it has any connection to it

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
drove by it twice today. Id say at a min its 1/2 mile from the Old Cemetery probabaly closer to 1 mile. I dont see how it has any connection to it

You are right about that. I was just wondering that sometimes they find ancient graves, like today in Ashkelon, and there was some rumor floating out there that the holiday inn may have been built on some of those. Maybe the fact that there are kevarim of tanna'im the backyard that contribute to that rumor.

On a further note, is the holiday inn worth $90, or can you get a better hotel for that type of money in Tiveria?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 01:46:24 AM »
You are right about that. I was just wondering that sometimes they find ancient graves, like today in Ashkelon, and there was some rumor floating out there that the holiday inn may have been built on some of those. Maybe the fact that there are kevarim of tanna'im the backyard that contribute to that rumor.

On a further note, is the holiday inn worth $90, or can you get a better hotel for that type of money in Tiveria?

If u are gonna worry about ancient garves you are best staying put outside of Israel

as for Ashkelon well I dont Believe either side they Both are playing politics. when tehres nothing to do leave it to teh Eida to start up with some Nonsense for no reason but to stir up trouble.

as I wasnt able to drive down Bar-Ilan last night all I saw were young Yeshiva kids, I can assure You had they stayed in the BM learning they would have done alot more good.Back in my days (70s & 80s) they went thru the samething but many American Rosh haYeshivas were dead set against it as were numerous Israeli Rosh Yeshivas

In the 30+ yrs that have passed NOTHING has changed and the so called Eida still carrys on with its BS (as does the Govt). Funny how the leaders are Never on the front lines.if they really believed in what they are calling for why arent they out in the streets. Cause they are too smart to do that

Ive never overnighted in Terveria even yesterday I drove up and back the same day.Took me alitle over 2 hrs to make it back from Meron to Yeru. Dan I believe has spent a night or 2 at The HI ask him. Im sure the old Sher is more $$ although its in a better location but they will parking while the HI wont

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »

Ive never overnighted in Terveria even yesterday I drove up and back the same day.Took me alitle over 2 hrs to make it back from Meron to Yeru. Dan I believe has spent a night or 2 at The HI ask him. Im sure the old Sher is more $$ although its in a better location but they will parking while the HI wont

What was the last sentence with parking?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:53:01 AM by moefl »

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:59 AM »

Took me alitle over 2 hrs to make it back from Meron to Yeru.

Wow! what route ? the bikah?

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 01:57:53 AM »

as I wasnt able to drive down Bar-Ilan last night all I saw were young Yeshiva kids, I can assure You had they stayed in the BM learning they would have done alot more good.Back in my days (70s & 80s) they went thru the samething but many American Rosh haYeshivas were dead set against it as were numerous Israeli Rosh Yeshivas

In the 30+ yrs that have passed NOTHING has changed and the so called Eida still carrys on with its BS (as does the Govt). Funny how the leaders are Never on the front lines.if they really believed in what they are calling for why arent they out in the streets. Cause they are too smart to do that

You have a point, but the Mir is right there, and it's just impossible to control so many guys. But on the other hand, even though there are many guys by the hafgana, at the same time you can step into the Mir and have it full of people learning, so you've got all types.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 02:01:33 AM »
Wow! what route ? the bikah?

yep at 160-180 it was abreeze, although very costly with gas being $7.40 a gal

I dont suggest it to anyone who isnt raelly familiar with the road, I can alomost drive it blindfolded

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 02:08:37 AM »

You have a point, but the Mir is right there, and it's just impossible to control so many guys. But on the other hand, even though there are many guys by the hafgana, at the same time you can step into the Mir and have it full of people learning, so you've got all types.

No question and Im sure the Mir is NOT the only Yeshiva that would have been full of people learning. actually the R"Hs of The Mir have come out against all the Nonsense of these demos for yrs now, much to their Credit!

and no The Mir is in Beis Yisroel walking it would take 20+ mins to get over to Bar-Ilan where the demos were, alittle less to Kikar Shabbos but usually theres nothing at all happening in The Mirs immediate area

it reminds me of the schwarzers burning their own neighbors down. so they burn down their garbage bins and then the garbage will accumlate on the streets and they will have demos against the city for not providing any garbage bins and for not picking up the garbage.NUTS

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 04:51:42 AM »
steve, if you were doing 160-180, it would take you a lot less than 2 hours. i was doing 140-160 the whole way on lag bomer and it took me 1.50 with some slowing down due to rain

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 05:06:24 AM »
steve, if you were doing 160-180, it would take you a lot less than 2 hours. i was doing 140-160 the whole way on lag bomer and it took me 1.50 with some slowing down due to rain

is bika this dead sea road? if yes, at 180 you would have become part of the cemetery I'd say, it has very strong curves...

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 06:56:45 AM »

not possible to do 160-180 as they are some decent curves where you MUST slow up or become part of the hway

then theres the Paz by Agaman 20ag disc per liter not as good as the Paz in Rosh Pina or Tiberias where its 30 ag discount

also you are gonna catch up to some slow pokes and will have to wait till U can pass them, but most of the time its very easy to hit and stay at 160/180