Author Topic: Amsterdam, Zurich, And Paris on United and Hyatt's tab  (Read 13885 times)

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Amsterdam, Zurich, And Paris on United and Hyatt's tab
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:51:17 AM »
Im working on a trip for Mrs. Elite Flyer and myself to visit Amsterdam and Paris. Wed like to spend the begining of the trip in Amsterdam (have family there) and conclude with the last 2 to 3 days in Paris (have already blocked out a full week's worth of free nights at the PH Paris)

I have tentative reservations with CO (I have $1200 in bump vouchers to cover most of the ticket) in and out of CDG. I also have a reservation on hold going into BRU and returning from CDG. Iwould look to train or bus from CDG or BRU to AMS on Wednesday and train back to Paris on Sunday or Monday

For $300 more total in airfare, I can fly into AMS and return from CDG. The only train or bus we would take would be from AMS to Paris.
So its train or bus fare for 2 + the hassle vs. $300 and arriving at our destination.

In consideration of 1.Money , 2.technical challenges, and 3. looking for cool experiences, what do you suggest. Also, Id love to hear some ideas for what to do in Paris and Amsterdam. Any good bicycle ride suggestions in Paris around the PH. They have a great free bicycle valet  program!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:24:34 PM by Dan »

Offline deals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Amsterdam and Paris 5/25- 6/3
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
take the thalys train from ams to paris it easyest way around

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »
take the thalys train from ams to paris it easyest way around
That much I figured. My question was really on what are best option is price-wise and logistically for the way to Amsterdam

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »
That much I figured. My question was really on what are best option is price-wise and logistically for the way to Amsterdam

train (thalys) is probably the cheapest way (book early to avoid more expensive fees [below 26 you should be able to get youth prizes.])

to get into CDG itself, you might want to look on the TGV website.

There is also a flight between AMS and CDG, but you need to find away around those $300, as its ridiculous to have to travel back and forth to between cdg and ams.

Paris to my opinion isn't really made for biking, Ams on the other hand is.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
train (thalys) is probably the cheapest way (book early to avoid more expensive fees [below 26 you should be able to get youth prizes.])

to get into CDG itself, you might want to look on the TGV website.

There is also a flight between AMS and CDG, but you need to find away around those $300, as its ridiculous to have to travel back and forth to between cdg and ams.

Paris to my opinion isn't really made for biking, Ams on the other hand is.

So, your suggesting its more cost effective to fly into CDG and train from there r/t to AMS rather than fly into BRU ans train BRU-AMS-CDG or pay 300 extra total to fly into AMS and take a 1 way train to Paris from AMS

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »
No, Im saying that you should find a way to fly to AMS and leave from CDG or vice versa, and do a one way with the train.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »
i.e its worth an extra $300 on the ticket (total for 2) to just fly into AMS and and fly back from CDG and only deal with one train from Amsterdam to Paris?

Cool. Lets hear some interesting ideas for young couples to do about Paris and Amsterdam.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
Thanks to the Hyatt Promo back in October I have 110,000 miles for the 2 of us to do Europe. Here's the itinerary on hold at United:
Monday 5/24
5/24 LH  401 JFK- FRA 4:00pm-525am
5/25 LH 4672 FRA -AMS 9:25am -10:25am
In Amsterdam 6 nights with family
5/31 LX 737 AMS-ZRH 7:05am- 8:30am
5/31 LX 656 ZRH-CDG 4:40 PM - 5:55pm
3 nights at Park Hyatt Paris on FFN
6/1 AC 881 CDG-YYZ 11:20-1:10pm
6/1 AC 722 YYZ-LGA 6:15pm-7:25pm
Note we may extend the 6 hour stay in Toronto to visit family there
Home sweet Home.

For all of you looking to make summer mileage redemption, I found this itinerary by checking availability of star alliance awards on ANA and dictating the flights to the United Mileage plus representative. Total cost is 110,000 miles in coach + $362 in fees for 2 passengers.
(If I would not have had miles, this ticket would have cost me $1550 on CO + train from AMS to CDG and no visit to Zurich. The multi-city ticket is available now for 2455.00 total. It could be argued then that the miles are netting me about 2.2 cents per mile. A value that I'm ok with.)

At present, we have an 8 hour layover in Zurich. perhaps we could get in a nice day trip there? I am also considering stretching that stay in Zurich to be just under 24 hours and stay overnight at the Park Hyatt Zurich.

What inexpensive options are there for getting around and seeing something nice in the city?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »
is that an around the world kinda fare?

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 05:43:19 PM »
is that an around the world kinda fare?
The mileage ticket is priced as a round trip US48-Europe

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »
how many stopovers are allowed?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »
how many stopovers are allowed?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »
but you also get 8 hour connections?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 07:56:34 PM »
but you also get 8 hour connections?
On international flights you can get layovers up to 23 hours and 59 minutes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »
Which is why we are now looking at the possibility of flying into ZRH on Sunday night instead of Monday morning: to get a night and full day in Zurich:

And on the way back, I will now look to fly from YYZ to NYC on Friday instead of Thursday evening in order to get an afternoon and night-over with family there.

To my way of thinking, this ability to add in free stop-overs and long connections is what makes miles worthwhile. That, and redemption for BIZ/FIRST class travel... Ill settle with the former for this one....already did a honeymoon to paradise in Business class (which may I add included a free stop-over for a Shabbos with Mr. and Mrs. Dan!)

But Im getting off topic. Any advice for what to do in Zurich, Paris, and Amsterdam?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 12:12:48 AM »
Which is why we are now looking at the possibility of flying into ZRH on Sunday night instead of Monday morning: to get a night and full day in Zurich:

And on the way back, I will now look to fly from YYZ to NYC on Friday instead of Thursday evening in order to get an afternoon and night-over with family there.

To my way of thinking, this ability to add in free stop-overs and long connections is what makes miles worthwhile. That, and redemption for BIZ/FIRST class travel... Ill settle with the former for this one....already did a honeymoon to paradise in Business class (which may I add included a free stop-over for a Shabbos with Mr. and Mrs. Dan!)

But Im getting off topic. Any advice for what to do in Zurich, Paris, and Amsterdam?

zurich is simple get a 1 day pas which includes the train to/from teh city all the public transport in the city, a boat ride on teh Lake 90 mins its Ok a canal boat ride down the Limmat river , walk around the old city not too big and the Banhofstrasse the 5th Ave of ZRH

AMS well you can go window shopping but I dont know if your wife will approve, hey if you go you'll see the tour guides with the ame type of flags as they use in Israel (Red Light district)

theres a great place outside of AMS which is sort of a museum village Sans (something) very easy and cheap to get to via the Train from the Central station in the city. send me a PM to remind me toook up teh name for you when I get back to NY on Tues

paris well just ask Dan what hes gonna do. Palace of Versailles is a must and can take all day with walking thru the gardens . If you go but the tkt for the longer tour of the Palace more rooms its worth it

From either Paris or AMS you can take atrain to Antwepren and visit SuperFlyer

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 05:06:11 AM »
i think the eiffel tower is in paris. can anyone confirm?

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 06:08:54 AM »
i think the eiffel tower is in paris. can anyone confirm?

its in Vegas, they copied it in Paris.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 01:18:40 AM »
I have purchased the ticket for a total of 55,000 united miles and $197 per passenger:
5/24 LH  401 JFK- FRA 4:00pm-525am
5/25 LH 4672 FRA -AMS 9:25am -10:25am
In Amsterdam 5 nights with family
5/30 LX 725 AMS-ZRH 9:45am- 11:10am
1 night at the PH Zurich using 18k HGP
5/31 LX 656 ZRH-CDG 4:40 PM - 5:55pm
3 nights at Park Hyatt Paris on FFN
6/1 AC 881 CDG-YYZ 11:20-1:10pm
6/1 AC 722 YYZ-LGA 6:15pm-7:25pm

Please note that I managed to get 2 free stop-overs on this ticket. (The stay in Zurich is 30 hours long). Not really sure how that got past them :-). United did charge an additional $25 per pp for booking on the phone. (A ticket with Star Alliance partners is not bookable online.)

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
New York-Amsterdam-Zurich-Paris on united Miles and Hyatt nights
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 09:01:24 AM »
I have three nights in Paris. 2 are reserved at the Park Hyatt and the last is being held at the nearby Hyatt Regency Madeline. Ive been checking daily to see if availability has freed up at the Park Hyatt. Unfortunately it hasn't yet.
When I called the Diamond line last night, though, the rep offered to transfer me to the sales department of the Park Hyatt Paris to see if they could make an exception to open up a room for me as a Diamond member. I had a very nice conversation with Marc, who told me in a heavy French accent that he couldn't offer it then, but later when the manager came in (mind you it was 5:00am in Paris ) he would speak to him about getting an exception made.
 he also asked if there was anything else he could do to make my stay more pleasant. I asked him for Kosher amenities/breakfast. He said he didn't think it would be a problem as they have done it before, but he would have the chef get back to me with menu specifics.

I could almost feel my toes being licked....thank you Hyatt!