Topic Wiki

Cities are listed from north to south starting with Santa Cruz, ending with before San Louis Obispo. For San Jose and anywhere north, click here. For Santa Barbara and anywhere south click here.
Activities

Santa Cruz area

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Monterey area

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Cannery Row

Pebble Beach, CA (golfing)

17-Mile Drive Waste of time and money IMO. Views are lackluster at best- UshDadude

Pacific Grove, CA (Butterfly capital of the world)

Point Lobos State Natural Reserve

Carmel-By-The-Sea

Big Sur area

Bixby Bridge

Point Sur (Sea Otters)

San Simeon area

Hearst Castle

Cambria, CA

San Lois Obispo (SLO) area

Moro Bay State Park

Pismo Beach

Solvang, CA

Restaurants

None officially, with the following exception:

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Pismo Beach, CA is considered a Southern California store. This means all the food is kosher. There are no other Coffee Bean Stores between San Jose and Santa Barbara.

Shuls

Chabad by the Sea (Santa Cruz)

Chabad of Monterey

Chabad of Carmel Valley

Chabad of SLO
« Last edited by ushdadude on July 28, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »

Author Topic: California Coast PCH Master Thread  (Read 139495 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
California Coast PCH Master Thread
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:04:30 PM »
this time it's a real question, I've never really done this before :)

I'm thinking of driving up the coast from LA to SF.

what are the "must sees"?

All I know is that the Big Sur area is supposed to be beautiful and I have no interest in going to hearst castle.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:21:46 PM by Dan »

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: LA to SF - driving up the coast
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:09:41 AM »
my favorites of the trip were, 17-mile in drive pebble beach , saw the redwoods at http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=540, and Santa Barbara  was gorgeous , i personally thought hearst castle was a waste of money, and time

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 01:32:20 AM »
Never did this trip, but as I foodie I have to say don't miss Tierra Sur in the Herzog winery in Oxnard.
And don't forget to pick up a $100 GC + free wine tasting for 2 at Costco for $80.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:27:57 AM »
I think I forgot one issue, anything I do needs to be little-kid friendly...

my favorites of the trip were, 17-mile in drive pebble beach , saw the redwoods at http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=540, and Santa Barbara  was gorgeous , i personally thought hearst castle was a waste of money, and time
I definitely intend to do the 17 mile drive.

Is there anything in particular you recommend in S. Barbara?

I've already seen giant redwoods at Yosemite, do you think there's still a good reason for me to go to Big Basin?

Never did this trip, but as I foodie I have to say don't miss Tierra Sur in the Herzog winery in Oxnard.
And don't forget to pick up a $100 GC + free wine tasting for 2 at Costco for $80.
Doesn't look particularly kid-friendly...
other than that it looks pretty good, I'll have to consider it for lunch.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 03:14:06 AM »
did you like that restaurant? i personally didnt think it was that great

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
did you like that restaurant? i personally didnt think it was that great
It's definitely not your typical kosher restaurant, and their entire menu changes very frequently, but I thought the food had very unique flavors and was excellent.

The desserts on the other hand were entirely unremarkable.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:28:38 PM »
ya know... I did this drive once, and I gotta say passing through wine country and in-and-over mountains was very pretty, and the sights while driving were an attraction all their own- I didn't even feel the need to stop and do anything!
 Problem is, with kids you're gonna have to make frequent stops, and you'll probably find a portion of your trip will be in the middle of nowhere, with the road you're driving on the only sign of civilization (I felt like I was in a Road Runner cartoon... literally barren land in all directions, and just this 2-lane road in front of me). It was creepy... then you pass some mountains, and suddenly there's people again.

We did stop to eat our bagged lunches at a place called Casa de Fruita, which is a cute little place with some markets and stuff. Also driving through Gilroy with the windows down was an experience of itself. There's isn't much Kosher food, let alone civilization along much of this route, so prepare yourself before you go!

Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »
Is there anything in particular you recommend in S. Barbara?
i didnt really do much there is a nice boardwalk though
I've already seen giant redwoods at Yosemite, do you think there's still a good reason for me to go to Big Basin?
no not really  i went because ive never seen redwoods its really just a 10 min walk ,where you get to see the redwoods.

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:55:29 PM »
there is white river rafting not far from squoia
and there is also a six flags up by sf that has like three parks in one

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
That is definitely one of the best restaurants that I have ever been to.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

levi

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 01:32:04 AM »
I have done this drive a couple of years back it is truly amazing, just make sure you have a convertible for the drive it is well worth it

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 02:59:06 AM »
oh well, after all that I didn't manage to fit this trip in...
*sighs*

maybe next time...

Offline Crown Street

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Re: California Coast Master Thread
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 01:58:44 AM »
Anybody know of a nice place to stop for the night on the way down from San Francisco to LA? And where is the best place to bail out of the PCH and onto the highway (i want to do a few hours of the PCH, but not go the whole way)

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
Anybody know of a nice place to stop for the night on the way down from San Francisco to LA? And where is the best place to bail out of the PCH and onto the highway (i want to do a few hours of the PCH, but not go the whole way)

no question,IMO the drive down is 100 times nicer then the drive up as you arte driving closer to the edge = get to see everything. While driving North you dont end up seeing much

When to cut out is a hard answer, by Santa Maria you can catch the 166 but its not straight across to the I-5 and its apx 100 miles. Or just grab the 101 from south of SM and take that all the way in as by then I dont think it pays to drive over to the I-5 any longer

The only other road I can think of is the 46 by Cambria signs will probably say Paso Robles on them which is South of Hearst Castle again apx 100 miles to drive to hit the I-5 and again is not a straight drive across. There are mts in between the PCH & I-5 so not many connecting roads.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 09:09:51 AM »
ya know... I did this drive once, and I gotta say passing through wine country and in-and-over mountains was very pretty, and the sights while driving were an attraction all their own- I didn't even feel the need to stop and do anything!
 Problem is, with kids you're gonna have to make frequent stops, and you'll probably find a portion of your trip will be in the middle of nowhere, with the road you're driving on the only sign of civilization (I felt like I was in a Road Runner cartoon... literally barren land in all directions, and just this 2-lane road in front of me). It was creepy... then you pass some mountains, and suddenly there's people again.

We did stop to eat our bagged lunches at a place called Casa de Fruita, which is a cute little place with some markets and stuff. Also driving through Gilroy with the windows down was an experience of itself. There's isn't much Kosher food, let alone civilization along much of this route, so prepare yourself before you go!

Wine Country? south of SF, Napa is North of SF. It also sounds that you didnt drive the PCH but the 101 the whole way, what a Waste you missed the whole purpose of driving SF-LA

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »
For those keeping score at home...
SFO-LAX via I5
SFO-LAX via 101
SFO-LAX via PCH
SFO-LAX via PCH and 101
SFO-LAX via PCH, 46, and I5
It would be pointless to switch over from the PCH to the I5 via 166 once you hit Santa Maria.  Just take the 101 and stop at Tierra Sur in the Herzog Winery  :D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »
For anyone doing the drive...pick up the Lonely Planet book on Coastal California which looks to be very good.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 01:22:11 PM »
For those keeping score at home...
SFO-LAX via I5
SFO-LAX via 101
SFO-LAX via PCH
SFO-LAX via PCH and 101
SFO-LAX via PCH, 46, and I5
It would be pointless to switch over from the PCH to the I5 via 166 once you hit Santa Maria.  Just take the 101 and stop at Tierra Sur in the Herzog Winery  :D

well he said he didnt want to stay on the PCH the whole way so I simply offered what was probably the 2 best choices to make

and really the best part of the PCH is North of Cambria where it goes up the mts rather then sea level then again after teh exit for Solvang it gets into the Santa Ynez Mts till after SB

Ive driven most of the roads between the PCH or 101 and I-5 and prefer driving with the PCH to the 101 , the roads connecting the 101 & I-5 are hit or miss when it comes to it not being a boring drive perse which the 101 after Venture more or less is itself

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »
You want a nice place? try the Post Ranch inn I hear it's kinda nice -although it may be *a bit* out of your budget...

I'm with Steve2, If you do want to cut across to I5, Paso Robles is the place to do it. There's really nothing between San Lois Obispo and L.A.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »
So the Fairmont deal has me thinking of a trip to SFO, and then a drive on the PCH down to LA.

Just how much time to people usually take to drive the PCH.  I know google says 8 hours, but how much time does it really take including seeing the sights?

Is it worth spending a night along the way?  Any SPG/Hyatt along the way?